We are all children of Mother Earth. We assert our deep desire, our firm commitment, and our inalienable right to live in harmony with each other and with nature’s laws of connectedness and interdependence.
We urge you as world leaders to fulfill your duty as guardians of our unique, beautiful and endangered Earth.
We call upon you to realize how your decisions and actions have threatened our future and have left us an unjust and destructive legacy.
Still, we trust that you can rise to your highest ideals and change course to provide us with visionary and ethical leadership to create the future we dream of and deserve.
We expect you to fulfill your obligations to us and future generations by:
- Committing to abolish nuclear weapons and all weapons of mass destruction, including ‘depleted’ uranium.
- Ceasing the use of military force to resolve any dispute, and ending the arms trade.
- Redirecting resources from militarism to human and planetary security.
- Restoring the health of our Earth and ending the exploitation of her non-renewable resources.
- Upholding human rights and the dignity of all humanity, and fulfilling your responsibilities under international law.
We urge you to remove the obstacles that have been placed before us, and renew our hope for our shared future.
Signed by the World Future Councilors of the Disarmament Working Group:
Judge C.G. Weeramantry