Anglo-American Declaration of Trust
June 13, 1944
This Agreement and Declaration of Trust is made on the thirteenth day of June thousand nine hundred and forty-four by Franklin Delano Roosevelt on behalf of the Government of the United States of America and by Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill on behalf of the Government of tile United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The said Governments are from now on referred to as “the Two Governments”:
Whereas an agreement (from now on called the Quebec Agreement) was entered into on the nineteenth day of August nine hundred and forty-three by and between the President of the United States and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. It is vital to the common interests of those concerned in the successful prosecution of the present war to ensure the acquisition of an adequate supply of Uranium and Thorium ores at the earliest possible moment.
Whereas the Two Governments intend to control to the fullest extent practicable the supplies of Uranium and Thorium ores within the boundaries of such areas as come under their respective jurisdictions.
Whereas the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland intends to approach the Governments of the Dominions and the Governments of India and Burma to secure that such Governments shall bring under control deposits of the Uranium and Thorium ores within their respective territories.
Whereas it has been decided to establish a joint organization to gain control of the Uranium and Thorium supplies in certain areas outside the power of the Two Governments and of the Governments of the Dominions and India and Burma.
Now it is at this moment Agreed and Declared as Follows:
1. There shall be established in the City of Washington, District of Columbia, a Trust to be known as “The Combined Development Trust”; The Trust shall be composed of and administered by six persons who shall be appointed and be subject to removal, by the Combined Policy Committee established by the Quebec Agreement.
2. The Trust shall use its best endeavors to gain control of and develop the production of the Uranium and Thorium supplies situated in certain areas other than the areas under the jurisdiction of the Two Governments and of the governments of the Dominions and India and Burma and for that purpose shall take such steps as it may in the common interest think fit to:
- Explore and survey sources of Uranium and Thorium supplies.
- Develop the production of Uranium and Thorium by acquiring mines and ore deposits, mining concessions, or otherwise.
- Provide equipment with any mines or mining works to produce Uranium and Thorium.
- Survey and improve the methods of production of Uranium and Thorium.
- Acquire and undertake the treatment and disposal of Uranium, Thorium, and Thorburn materials.
- Provide storage and other facilities.
- Undertake any functions or operations which conduce to the practical carrying out of the purpose of the Trust in the common interest.
3. The Trust shall carry out its functions under the direction and guidance of the Combined Policy Committee. As its agent, all Uranium and Thorium ores and supplies and other property acquired by the Trust shall be held by it in Trust for the Two Governments jointly and disposed of or otherwise dealt with by the direction of the Combined Policy Committee; The Trust shall submit such reports of its activities as the Combined Policy Committee may require from time to time.
4. to carry out its functions, the Trust shall utilize whenever and wherever practicable the established agencies of any of the Two Governments, may employ and pay such other agents and employees as it considers expedient. It may delegate to any agents or employees all or any of its functions.
5. The Trust may acquire and hold any property in the name of nominees.
6. All funds adequately required by the Trust to perform its functions shall be provided as to one-half by the Government of the United States of America and the other half by the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
7. In the event of the Combined Policy Committee ceasing to exist, the functions of the Committee under the Trust shall be performed by such other body or person as may be designated by the President for the time being of the United States of America and the Prime Minister for the time being of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
8. As soon as practicable after the conclusion of hostilities, the signatories of this Agreement and Declaration of Trust will recommend to their respective Governments the extension and revision of this wartime emergency agreement to cover post-war conditions and its formalization by treaty or another proper method. This Agreement and Declaration of Trust shall continue in full force and effect until such extension or revision.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
On behalf of the Government of the United States of
Winston S. Churchill
On behalf of the Government of the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland